Sunday, February 23, 2014

My Thoughts Regarding Shoes


I love shoes. Yes, I admit it. I have a thing for shoes.  Not expensive shoes--no way.  But give me a few dollars and a big discount shoes store and I'm a "girl gone wild."  Please just take my word for it and don't ask my husband about my "addiction."  He always loves to tell this ridiculous story about how he once placed a wager with me that I had more than 75 pairs of shoes.  I laughed and said there was no way he would win that bet.  Suffice it to say... I lost but I refuse to admit how many pairs I counted.  It's downright embarrassing.  I WILL admit that I have 7 pairs of black shoes (and that doesn't count boots, sandals, and flip flops. Why would any rational human being need that many pairs of the same color shoe?  Truth is . . . I don't.  Truth is...I'm also not proud of my obsession but until a few weeks ago, it really hasn't bothered me much.

In response to my request for pictures from previous trips to Sierra Leone to show my grandchildren, Robert Hill sent me one picture that I am sure God had a hand in choosing.  Can you guess what the picture was?  It was a picture of just feet -- those of several children wearing flip flops that had been given to them--their one pair of shoes.  They had NO SHOES to wear before.  They were so thankful to have one pair of shoes.  I cannot get that image out of my mind.  One pair of shoes as compared to my 75+.  Wow!  I haven't even left the comforts of my home, I haven't set foot in this third world country, and already this mission trip is affecting me in profound ways.  I cannot fathom how I will walk in this world once I have been to Sierra Leone.   Will I be able to keep those 75+ pairs of shoes in my closet after I have walked with God's children who long for and are happy with just one pair?  How will I feel when I return to my beautiful home?  I have no idea but promise to share as I am able to find the words.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment