Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Jusufu & Evelyn Tommy Prepare the Way for Us

Jusufu Tommy

Evelyn Tommy
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." (Margaret Mead, cultural anthropologist).  Anyone who knows me well or who worked with me at Murray State University for any length of time knows that this is my favorite quote.  It was posted everywhere in the Center where I served as Director and it was heard in every speech and presentation I gave. Furthermore, it served as the foundation and guiding force for every program and project we planned.  In addition, if you spend any time in my home, you will find this quote displayed in several places--painted on a brick, embroidered on a quilt, and printed on a picture hanging on the wall.  It gives me inspiration, energy, and hope for a better tomorrow.  

As I think ahead to the upcoming trip, I KNOW that every member of this volunteer mission team is committed to the work that lies ahead.  When I reference our "team", I am not just referring to the eight members from the U.S.  I am also including the individuals in Sierra Leone who I have not yet met but KNOW are preparing for our arrival and work.  If you are participating in the 30 days of prayer for this mission, you know that yesterday, I asked you to pray for Jusufu and Evelyn Tommy. I already feel connected to these individuals even before meeting them in person.  They are a vital part of our team.  When I asked Robert Hill to tell me more about the Sierra Leone volunteers who are working closely with us, he told me, "If we (i.e., the U.S. team members) are the "engine" of this mission, they are the "transmission."  I love that analogy for it reminds me that without their commitment to this endeavor, we would fail.  He described Jusufu as a man who is passionate about the well-being of his people.  He is loving and forgiving. He and Evelyn are giving of their time to work diligently to lay the groundwork for successful clinics.  They are also making travel and lodging arrangements for us.  Please keep them in your prayers.

Finally, while I love the Margaret Mead quote that inspires, motivates, and "drives" my work, I recognize that on this journey, we need more than our small group of thoughtful, committed people. Afterall, we are just human beings and we will grow tired and weary and likely, overwhelmed with the needs and our inability to respond to all of them.  I am thankful to one of my team members, Tonya Nash, who provided me with a scripture that renews my spirit and offers hope and peace.   In Luke 18:27, Jesus says, "What is impossible with man is possible with God."  
Brothers in Christ - Jusufu & Robert Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment