Friday, February 21, 2014

Here I Am. Send Me

Often I am amazed at how quickly time passes.  It seems like it was just a short time ago when I mentioned to Carol Doster that "going on a mission trip" was on my "bucket list." For those of you who do not know Carol, you are missing something special.  She is one of the "movers" and "shakers" in this world.  She has been to Sierra Leone multiple times and I shared my wish with the right person--she was on board immediately.  Next we talked to Dr. Debi Selby, who has given so much to the people of Sierra Leone in the past.  We needed her and it didn't take much to convince her...Robert Hill just had to agree to be our team leader.  He readily agreed and before long, we had a team of eight people going on the trip.  Now, the trip is just three weeks away.  My longing since childhood to serve in a country of need is finally becoming a reality.  Am I excited? Yes. Am I nervous? Yes.  Do I feel competent to do the work that lies ahead? Not really but with the help and patience of my team and many prayers (both mine and others), God will find a way to use me.  As today's scripture reading reminds me, "if I offer myself as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God," my mind can be transformed.  Psalm 51 offers me a great beginning in preparation for this journey.

A few days ago, Robert sent us a picture that was taken on a past trip to Sierra Leone.  It brought tears to my eyes as I stared at Elyse Bell gazing into the eyes of an infant she was lovingly holding and carefully feeding.  I remembered receiving a meditation a few weeks earlier from Elyse and I said aloud the end of that meditation, "Here am I. Send me."  I pray that each of our team will "be present" with each and every person we encounter in the same way that Elyse was in that moment in time with the infant.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment