Thursday, February 27, 2014

Meet Team Member Debbie Jelks

Today, I introduce another member of our Paris, TN team, Debbie Jelks.  She grew up in Paris and after college returned to Paris to live and work.  She married a Parisian and has raised her three sons here.  She is a physical therapist and has worked with numerous children and adults in the community. Currently, she serves as the Rehabilitation Services Director for the Henry County Medical Center.  Please remember Debbie in your prayers today. Her favorite Bible verse, Matthew 25:40 is included in today's scripture reading.  Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." (Matthew 25:40).  After reading Debbie's statement that follows, I am sure you will see why I am excited that she is part of our team.      
*********************************************************************************
"I vividly remember Debi Selby calling this past fall and asking me if I wanted to go back to Sierra Leone in March 2014.  I couldn’t say ‘yes!’ fast enough!   This will be my second time to go with Debi and I have been to Dakar, Senegal on a medical mission trip as well.  Many people like to say there is no reason to go "out of country" as there is plenty to do in our own country -- and there are many people called to do "in country" missions.  I quickly remind these same people that God has children all OVER the world and we are to take care of them as well.  Plus, I have felt the call to go further,  to reach around the world to help God’s children--to be His hands, His feet, His voice and to show His love to those who, only for the Grace of God, could be me and my family.

The people of Africa are so “hungry” for what we have and I’m not just talking about the medicines and other items we bring.  On my first trip to Sierra Leone, I noticed the people wanting to look in my eyes and sometimes even touch my  face.   Initially, I didn’t understand why or what that meant – if anything.  Then I realized--they can see Christ working in us as we provide healthcare,  hand out the appropriate medicine,  love on the children,  smile and compliment the mothers on what a great job they are doing with their babies.  Oh how the mothers' faces light up when you tell them “beautiful baby”.  They see the light of Christ we carry with us.

If one person can comprehend God’s love for them, feel that they are important while in this earthly existence, and that the best is yet to come, then the entire trip is worth it to me! My purpose during the clinic is “multiple”/as needed.  I will work in the pharmacy and provide wound care which is a common issue due to burns, as fire is used for everything – cooking, some of the ways they dye their clothing, etc.  In addition, there are children with developmental issues and I will give the families simple exercises to do. 

It is an amazing blessing to be part of this incredible team and I am grateful that I have been called to go.  Please pray fervently for our trip and that we can provide for the people of Sierra Leone exactly what God is calling us to do."

Sincerely,
Debbie Jelks

No comments:

Post a Comment