Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pediatrician Debi Selby Makes Her 4th Trip to Sierra Leone

Today, I begin introducing the individual team members who will be going to Sierra Leone on March 13.  Since this is a pediatric medical mission, it seems only fitting to begin with our pediatrician,  Dr. Debi Selby.  For those of you following the 30-day prayer calendar, you will note that I asked you to pray for her today.  Her favorite Bible verse with respect to this mission--John 14:27--is one of the scriptures for today.  Meet Dr. Debi . . .

A Child Dr. Debi Treated in One Clinic
      Dr. Debi Teaching Midwives How to Resuscitate Infants

"As I am preparing for my fourth medical mission trip to Sierra Leone, many thoughts pass through my mind, each bringing with it a series of emotions.  The people are so regal, even in their seeming (to us) poverty.  They are a proud people, trying their best with the little they have.  They do not fret over what they do not have, nor do they waste time wishing they had "more".

Many are in dire need of medical care that our team can provide, if only for a short time.  I focus on teaching midwives how to resuscitate newborns and on the children because they are the future of the nation  Every sick, hurting child I can help is a blessing to me and my wish and my hope is that as I touch their bodies and help them heal, God's love shows in me. Although there is a language barrier, I have experienced the love of Christ as I touch these beautiful people and feel they experience the same.

As I work in clinic, I want the service I provide to be not only a physical help but also a spiritual experience for both me and the families I serve. If I can offer hope and love to these people, the trip will have been a success and the Gospel of Christ will shine through our team by our actions.  We practice daily Bible study at breakfast to set our minds in the right "place" before we start our labors for the day. Pray for us that we maintain a loving attitude to each person we come into contact with during our trip that even as we interact with drivers, money changers, airport personnel and others we put forth the love of Christ as he instructed us."                                                

Debi


Waiting Room at One Clinic



1 comment:

  1. Today, I went to the beach front with my kids. I found a sea shell and
    gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said
    "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
    put the shell to her ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside
    and it pinched her ear. She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is completely off topic but I had to tell someone!


    Here is my weblog :: Dr Dre Beats

    ReplyDelete