Monday, March 24, 2014

Final Day in Freetown and Heading Home

After a wonderful breakfast in the hotel’s outdoor café, Carol and I took a walk around the hotel property.  Family Kingdom is a perfect name.  There are playgrounds, sports equipment, two pools, and a menagerie of live animals roaming the property.  We met the proprietor (he corrected us when we asked if he was the owner) and learned that he was originally from Dearborn, Michigan.  He is a Christian and explained that God owns the property and he oversees it.  Wow! I’ve never heard a hotel owner in the States say anything close to that.  When we checked out of the hotel, he had a staff member give us a bag in which he had placed a hematite necklace for each of us.  


As promised the night before, the bus pulled across the street and gave everyone a chance to go down to the ocean and put our feet in it.  I loved it but was surprised that no one was swimming in the ocean or even sitting on the shore.  I was disappointed that there were no shells but so happy that I got to walk in the water and along the shore for a few minutes.

From there, we made our way to King Jimmy’s market. The two-story building was huge and Carol, Lucy and I only shopped in a small portion of it.  Negotiating with each vendor is time consuming but expected.  In fact, it is considered rude to pay the initial price.  Nothing is actually priced so you have to ask.  There is one small booth after the other and many vendors selling the same items and competing for business.  Wow!  I would never have made it without Lucy.  I didn’t have time to shop for everything I planned on so I guess I will have to return next year.  I spent so little and came away with so much.

We returned to the bus and traveled back across town to eat our final meal at Family Kingdom.  Our waiter had on a gorgeous shirt and I complimented him on it.  I told Suliaman how much I liked it and he asked if I would be interested in buying it.  Carol told me long before I came to Sierra Leone that everything in Sierra Leone was for sale so I immediately responded with a resounding, “yes!” The next thing I knew, the waiter was removing his shirt, I was trying it on in the middle of the restaurant, I bought it, and gave the waiter the t-shirt I had been wearing just a few minutes earlier.  I can’t wait to wear it.  It will always be special to me partly because of how I obtained it. 

Time to return to America. We unloaded our luggage at Aberdeen Bridge and waited for the water taxi.  The 45-minute ride on the beautiful water gave me a chance to look back for the final time at Freetown.  I had seen the wealthier part of the city as well as what would be labeled as the “slums.”  I realized that Americans could come to this country and never see the reality of poverty and isolation of the villages outside the big city.  Yet, they could also miss the pride of these resilient, courageous, resourceful people who know the true meaning of community.  I feel like I have been to the birthplace of humanity and I am enriched or having doing so.  As James Taylor once sang, “I am going home by a different way.”  

We made it through every security checkpoint—7 from the entrance gate at the airport to the boarding of the plane.  Carol faced the hardest time of all of us—I guess her Bohemian look caused alarm.  She was questioned at every point more than the rest of our group but in the end, we boarded the plane and began our journey home.  After a 6-1/2 hour flight, we arrived in Brussels at 5 A.M. (local time) this morning (Saturday) where we had a 6-hour layover.  I hadn’t been able to sleep on the flight so I found a couch and took a two-hour nap.  Debbie Jelks awakened me and we proceeded through security with our carry-on luggage.  After a few more hours, we took off for Washington DC.  

As I sit here on the plane, I keep thinking back to the past nine days.  I have gained so much from the experience.  I know I will be more patient when I return home.  I know I will want less, realizing that things do not make me happy.  I will also enjoy and appreciate some small things so much more--like ICE.  On the plane, I asked for water but also a cup of ice.  I have decided that any beverage is better when it is ice cold.  It doesn't take much to make me happy--just a cup of ice.  

Since my computer is almost dead, I will share more of my thoughts in my next post.

Until then, take care…


jane       

No comments:

Post a Comment