Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Introducing Becca Selby

I am so excited that we will have two younger women traveling with us to Sierra Leone.  Today, you get an introduction to Rebecca (Becca) Selby who is making her second trip.  Through her words, I get a glimpse of her compassion, love, and desire to serve which brings me immense joy and hope for the future.  I am sure that the children will love Becca's sweet spirit and I, too, look forward to spending time with her.  As you pray for Becca today, ask God to bless her life in a special way.
*********************************************************************************
Becca with a little boy being
seen at a clinic in Taiama 

“I’ve been excited and ready to go back to Sierra Leone since I knew about the upcoming trip. I got my paperwork, passport, etc. ready and the team has met twice so far in preparation. I was excited during all this preparation, but the reality of going back didn’t hit me until a few days ago. I was starting to get together the clothes I’d be packing, and I came across a couple of outfits that one of the interpreters, Evelyn, made for me on a past trip. I put on that outfit and it was crazy how many memories came back that I hadn’t thought of probably since my last trip a few years ago. I remembered so many of the kids’ faces and the faces of the mothers bringing their children to the clinic. I was mentally transported back and remembered how much I benefited by going to Sierra Leone. 

While working there as part of a medical mission team, you see many things that cannot be explained to someone who’s never been to a third world country. It amazes me how the Sierra Leonians go without some of the things that I have never considered being without in my life, yet they are content. I am excited and thankful to be a part of this trip to help these deserving people.

The children of Sierra Leone will always hold a special part of my heart, and I can’t wait to see them soon. I have had moments of doubt where I think to myself that since I’m not in a medical profession that maybe I don’t make that much of a contribution to the team, but then I remember that a team can only excel with members who do the many other things that have to be done so the medical professionals can render their care. As Robert Hill read to us at our first team meeting (this may not be an exact quote, but it’s close): ‘If you think you’re too small to make a difference, try sleeping in a closed room with a mosquito.’”


Becca
Becca at a primary school in Taiama

No comments:

Post a Comment