Friday, March 14, 2014

They Tell Me It’s Day Two

I have been told by several trustworthy sources (my team members) that we are well into the second day of our journey.  However, since Day 1 was much shorter than a typical day and I still haven’t slept, it’s hard to believe them.  Plus, we are not yet on the continent of Africa.  To convince myself that it IS Friday, I bought breakfast in the Brussels airport.  We have a five-hour layover before our final “leg” of the journey to Freetown, Sierra Leone.  You may wonder how we have been spending our time here.  You’ve heard it said that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Well, here are a few pictures for you…
Dr. Debi  Exercises
Robert managed to get free Starbucks 

A Little Nap Will Revive Me
 Grabbing a Little Shut-Eye




We also had our second devotion.  The focus was on acknowledging our anxieties, fears, and worries related to our medical mission.  The Bible is full of stories about men and women of God who were afraid/anxious in various circumstances.  Those who exhibited fear were some of the most devout and faithful men and women of the Bible.  I find great comfort in knowing that they felt fear.  In the midst of each story, we also find comforting words from God and Jesus.  There are so many scriptures related to God's love for us and
his protection, power, and strength.  We read Old and New Testament scripture and with each verse read, I felt more and more at peace.  I am relaxing and trusting that all will be fine.  I am so thankful that we have dedicated helpers and advocates in Sierra Leone.  I am eager for the adventure “in country” to begin soon.  I am reminded of the 12 apostles that Jesus chose.  Most were just ordinary men but because they followed Jesus, extraordinary things transpired.  That also strengthens me.

So, in just a few more hours, we’ll step onto new soil.  I’ll step out on aching knees but also with faith and hope, believing that Jesus will hold us and protect us and that he will grant us all peace.  In the meantime, I will listen to the favorite music of my team members and say a prayer of thanks for each of them.  I will also think of each person I love back home and what they mean to me.  May my husband, children (and their spouses/fiancee’/girlfriend), grandchildren, extended family, and dear friends feel the breadth and depth of my love.


Jane 

1 comment: