Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Tomorrow is Departure Day!

I've been in Washington DC for the past several days with my husband and am on my way back to Paris right now. I'm thinking about all the things I have to get done when I get home in order to be ready to leave in the morning for Sierra Leone.  I just know I'll leave something behind that I need, but all will be fine. The truth is...I can do without so many things that I think are necessary. 

Exploring my nation's capital has been an interesting way to spend a few days before I leave this country for ten days. Seeing the memorials to so many of our forefathers and reading their words moved me to tears at times. Sometimes, I get really frustrated with politicians and with the status of things in the U.S. but the past few days have reminded me of the principles that our country was founded upon and how much we care about peace and all people. Visiting the Museum of Natural History reminded me of the natural disasters & also the atrocities of war that so many people have sustained around the world in recent times. My heart aches for those who have suffered so much. I cannot fathom what so many have endured.  I have had an easy life in comparison to so many.  I am thankful for all my blessings but am also happy that I have an opportunity to reach out to help others who have been much less fortunate.  I know God will teach me much about love, compassion, faith, hope, patience, and forgiveness in the next ten days. Some lessons will be hard but I am ready. Sierra Leone,  here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment